This page has moved to a new address.

 

              Sick, sick and more sick        

 
    Two of Everything: Sick, sick and more sick

Sunday 24 June 2012

Sick, sick and more sick

For as long as I can remember I have suffered from travel sickness.  My earliest memories of long trips in the car are of a yellow bucket, which went everywhere with us and with good reason; both my brother and I made regular use of it.  I remember once making it all the way home, only to decorate the garage door as I headed for the drain...  I think I was about 12 at the time.  I can manage these days without actually being sick but I do have to drive everywhere to stop myself feeling like my stomach has parted company with the rest of my body.  

A few months ago we travelled to John Lewis, about 45 minutes away from us, and just as we arrived home Little Miss was sick.  We didn't think much of it and she didn't seem too bothered, although she had been asleep minutes earlier.  A friend at my twins group assured me that children don't get travel sickness at this age, so I put it to the back of my mind.

Yesterday we were travelling to our holiday destination, Coombe Mill in Cornwall.  Two hours in, just past Bristol and thus far entertained by Spot and The Gruffalo on DVD, Little Miss decided to announce that she had, in fact, definitely inherited the car sickness gene.  Luckily we were only 5 minutes away from where we were intending to stop for lunch, but this time she was far from ok about it.  Traumatised would be a more accurate description (she has a touch of the drama queen about her on occasion).   We had to strip her off jolly quickly and of course had a suitcase full of clothes to change her in to.  Job done we went to have some lunch as she was clearly now very hungry having lost what was left of her mid-morning snack.  We managed to find some Odour Remover spray in the shop next to the cafe (someone was smiling down on us), so The Daddy set to work on her car seat while I took both children to the play area.  This was rather interesting, as Little Miss absolutely did not want to walk and Little Man absolutely did want to go on every swing and slide in sight.  So I had to sit her on my hip and give Little Man a hand into the swing, up the steps to the slide...  I also had stop him charging towards the stream several times...  By the time The Daddy returned my biceps were burning and I was ready for a lie down in a nice quiet, dark room.

The calm after the storm
When we arrived at Coombe, we decided to leave her car seat intact until today, when we could buy some biological washing powder to (hopefully) get rid of the smell.

And what a good job we did.

Today we headed off to Sainsbury's to do a Big Shop.  We had had an early start and much excitement as we went with all the other children staying here to feed the animals.  We set off in a bit of a rush and 10 minutes into a rather twisty journey...  Yep, you guessed it.  And this time it was projectile.  She was covered, and this time there was no suitcase of clothes to re-dress her from.  In fact, we had no spare clothes whatsoever - and then we discovered we didn't even have any wipes.  So we headed to Sainsbury's anyway and had to buy her an entire new outfit (which I was quite pleased about as I'd had my eye on that particular t-shirt for a while!), and even a man doing those balloon animal thingys wasn't enough to stop her screaming while we stripped her sicky things off her.  The only thing that did that was Spot, on DVD, as we headed back to Coombe, sans Big Shop.  

Well, she'd been sick on two jackets as well, she needed another one!
And Little Man?  Well, he seems to be ok.  And he has been a total angel while we've been cleaning his sister up, too!

So now we have the task of finding some way of stopping the sickness when we go anywhere.  Does anyone have any pearls of wisdom for me?  Do you have travel sick children who you've managed to cure?!
(And I know, we need to take a change of clothes EVERYWHERE!)         

10 Comments:

At 25 June 2012 at 05:57 , Blogger Unknown said...

oh goodness...i feel for you as i always got carsick too and so does my teen. We haven't been game enough to travel with the twins to far as yet....no pearls of wisdom for you sorry although we found the little statc strap you can attach to the back of the car really helped my teen when she was younger. Not sure if you can get them where you are? Wish we had a Coombe Farm near us!!!

 
At 25 June 2012 at 12:02 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

It's a fabulous place for a holiday, we're already planning next year's visit and we're only two days in!!

 
At 25 June 2012 at 23:35 , Blogger Coombe Mill - Fiona said...

Bless you, and you still looked so cheerful when I met up with you with an arm full of cleaning rags and spray for the next time! Please help yourself to the rags there, if they are coated just bin them. I hope you make the beaches, but watch out it is winding lanes!

 
At 26 June 2012 at 08:55 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

Thank you, and I hope we make it to the beaches too! I'm hoping the Spot DVD will save the day again; and if not, our bagful of rags!!

 
At 28 June 2012 at 10:50 , Blogger Rebecca English said...

Oh I'm so jealous you got to go to Coombe Mill. It looks great.

Btw just seen I'm on your blog roll. Thanks so much! :-))

 
At 28 June 2012 at 18:41 , Anonymous Em said...

Oh no, my brother was travel sick but luckily he grew out of it really quickly because nothing seemed to make it better. Hope it doesn't spoil your holiday

 
At 28 June 2012 at 19:26 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

It is great at Coombe Mill, we love it!

Yes, you're on my blogroll - I like your blog!! Lovely to see you here! :)

 
At 28 June 2012 at 19:28 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

We seem to be getting away with it at the moment - constant use of the in-car DVD players, which I don't really like but needs must!!

 
At 1 July 2012 at 23:11 , Blogger Trouble Doubled said...

Oh dear, I was very car sick as a child and still am a bit now. I tend to drive most places and that helps. I've never been further than Majorca as I can't handle the nausea and feeling of dread that comes with being sick. It's horrible. I don't have any advice except it will probably ease as she gets older and just to be aware of it so you don't have to make any more emergency trips to Sainsbury's. Good luck.

 
At 2 July 2012 at 13:38 , Blogger Two of Everything said...

I'm the same, I have to drive everywhere - either that or go to sleep, and I was seasick on a gondola in Venice...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home